Since Patient Rights’ Project inception 23 advocacy visits and activities were held as well as media appearances where patient rights were introduced and advocated. Visits to local bodies, health organisations and key people were also conducted aiming to initiate an effective communication among different actors in order to raise the awareness on the patients’ rights in the northern part of Cyprus. In addition to the Project team, Steering Committee members also actively participated to health related activities:
- Visit to the local body responsible for interior affairs (14 March 2016)- Nicosia –Advocacy visit
- Participation to World Kidney Day M on 12 March 2016 with project banners- Nicosia
- Visit with Cyprus Association of Persons with Hearing and Speech Impairment (8th April 2016)- Nicosia – Advocacy visit
- Visit with Near East University Hospital’s Patients’ Rights Unit (12 April 2016) Nicosia –
- Meeting with Famagusta Medical Centre (15 April 2016) Famagusta.
- Meeting with Cyprus Turkish Orthopaedics Association (26 April 2016)- brochures and posters delivered. Nicosia – Advocacy visit
- Meeting with local body responsible for health (21 April 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Nicosia – Advocacy visit
- Participation to EU Youth Week (25-29 April 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Nicosia
- Visit to Thalassemia International Federation (9 May 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Nicosia
- Visit to Girne Akçiçek Hospital (9 May 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Kyrenia
- Visit to Lefkoşa Burhan Nalbantoğlu Local Hospital (12 May 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Nicosia
- Participation to EU day in Selimiye Square on 20 May 2016
- Visit to Famagusta Public Hospital (24 May 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Famagusta –
- Meeting with Cyprus Turkish Medical Association (17 May 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Nicosia – Advocacy visit
- Visit to British Residence Society and UK Forum (18 May 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Kyrenia
- Visit to Nicosia local community’s Health Department (25 May 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Nicosia
- Participation to 10th European Patients’ Rights Day in Brussels (3-5 May 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Brussels.
- Participation to Awareness March for People with Disabilities (16 May 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Nicosia
- Meeting with head doctor of Barış Mental Hospital (9 June 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Nicosia Advocacy visit
- Meeting with Cyprus Turkish Pharmacists’ Union (9 June 2016) brochures and posters delivered. An agreement was made with the Union and as per the agreement 218 posters were handed to the Union to be delivered to all the pharmacies in northern part of Cyprus. Nicosia Advocacy visit
- Visit to Çamlıbel Health Centre (23 June 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Çamlıbel Advocacy visit
- Meeting with Living with Celiac Association (1 July 2016) brochures and posters delivered. Nicosia Advocacy visit
- On 14 July Patients’ Voice team initiated the creation of Memorandum of Understanding for the Health Association Platform comprising of 10 health organisations. Brochures and posters delivered.
- Meeting with Güzelyurt- Lefke Solidarity Platform (the platform was created in order to struggle against the closure of Cengiz Topel Local Hospital in Yeşilyurt)- 17 August 2016. Yeşilyurt Advocacy visit
- Participation to Open Door Festival (September-October 2016), meeting with Head of EU Coordination Office Kudret Akay in the framework of the festival.
- Meeting with KTÖS (Cyprus Turkish Teachers Union) in the framework of Open Door Festival (12 October 2016) Advocacy visit
- Meeting with Radio May in the framework of Open Door Festival (12 October 2016)
- Meeting with KTEÖS in the framework of Open Door Festival (Cyprus Turkish Secondary School Teachers Union) (12 October 2016) Advocacy visit
- Presentation on Patients’ Voice project to the members of the KTÖS board of managers.
- Meeting with head doctor of Burhan Nalbantoğlu Public Hospital Dr. Bülent Dizdarlı on 11 October 2016 was a crucial meeting as during the meeting Patients Voice project’s objectives and the needs assessment survey process were shared and the team and the head doctor agreed to cooperate to further patient rights in the hospital. Dr. Dizdarlı agreed to share the complaints he receives with UPRA He also agreed to hang posters depicting 14 patient rights to every department of the hospital. During the meeting, trainings were also discussed and it was agreed that the doctors and the health professionals at the hospital will receive training on patients’ rights. Advocacy visit
- Mental Health Seminar was held on the 18th October 2016. .Local representation responsible for health Dr Faiz Sucuoğlu delivered a speech at the seminar
- Project team visited the Burhan Nalbantoğlu Local Hospital within the framework of World Patient Rights Day on 26th of October accompanied by deputy head doctor and BRTK communication team to create awareness by news and press releases immediately. The project team hanged the framed patient rights posters to every department of the hospital. The team also disseminated “get well soon” cards to the cardiology department
- Participation to Bağlıköy Eco Day (23 October 2016) brochures delivered.
- Meeting withlocal body responsible for health (24 November 2016) Advocacy visit
- Meeting with Ombudsperson (6 February 2017) Advocacy visit
- Meeting with Cyprus Turkish Medical Association (6 February 2017) brochures and posters delivered Advocacy visit
- Meeting with Cyprus Turkish Freelance Doctors Association (10 February 2017) brochures and posters delivered Advocacy visit
- Meeting with Lefke Local Representative (24 February 2017) brochures and posters delivered Advocacy visit
- Meeting with head doctor of Cengiz Topel Hospital (24 February 2017) brochures and posters delivered. Advocacy visit
- UPRA hosted a lunch meeting with the local representative responsible of health Dr. Faiz Sucuoğlu at Golden Tulip Hotel where the plans for patient rights trainings for the health professionals in public sector was discussed and agreed upon. During the same meeting the draft law and the roadmap concerning the draft patient rights law was also discussed and consensus was reached between the local body responsible for health and the members of the patient’s voice steering committee. As per the consensus it was agreed that the local body responsible for health would go ahead with creating a commission where the draft law would be finalised and sent to the local body responsible body. (6 March 2017) Advocacy visit
- Meeting with Nicosia Mayor (4 April 2017) brochures and posters delivered Advocacy visit
- In Between 1st of April and 30th of April more advocacy and awareness activities continued alongside participation to the meetings under local body responsible for health for the draft law where UPRA and the PV project started taking active part. UPRA president participated to a meeting with the local representation of health on 12th of April 2017. This was a major achievement of the project, establishing UPRA and its partners as main players in patients’ rights in TCc. Advocacy visit
- Presentation by Communication and Advocacy Officer Ms. Dağtaş at Near East University Social Services Department (2 May 2017)
- Weekly informative presentations on patient rights at Bandabuliya for the elderly. The presentations were delivered by the Advocacy and Communications officer Ms Dağtaş during the events organised by Nicosia local community’s department for the elderly. In total, approximately 200 elderly in total observed the presentation. (April – May 2017)
- Participation to EU Day in Selimiye and also in Famagusta (20 May – 10 June 2017)
- In the framework of the project, Steering Committee member patients’ rights expert Assist. Prof. Gürkan Sert made an exclusive presentation on the draft law for the high level officials at the local body responsible for health on the 21st of June 2017- Advocacy visit
Advocacy Efforts of UPRA:
PETITION “Hasta Hakları Temel İnsan Hakkıdır! Hasta hakları ihlallerinin önlenmesi ve sağlık hizmetlerinde kalitenin artması için Avrupa Birliği mevzuatı kapsamında bir HASTA HAKLARI YASASI istiyorum.” Ibaresinin altına yüzlerce yurttaş imza atmıştır.
Dönemin Meclis Başkanı ve Sağlık Bakanı’na bu imzalar ulaştırılmış fakat hiç bir sonuç alınamamıştır.
Toparlanıyoruz Hareketi hasta hakları bilgilendirme toplantısı
May 2013 – Hizmette ciddi sorunlar yaşanıyor! Basına demeç verildi
September 2013 – Sağlık Bakanı Ahmet Gülle ziyaret – Hasta Hakları Yasası Hemen Geçmeli!
November 2013 – Participation of Health Workshop
Paticipation of EU Patients’ Rights Day
February 2014- Meclis Başkanı Hasan Bozer ziyaret- Hasta Hakları Yasası talebi tekrarlandı
Atatürk Öğretmen Akademisi son sınıf öğrencilerine hasta hakları bilgilendirme toplantısı
Participation of EU Patients’ Rights Day
May 2015– – Visit to Minister of Health Ahmet Gülle – Health workshop and law demand
May 2015 – Patients’ Rights are being violated Hasta hakları ihlal ediliyor- Press statement
August 2015 – Visit to Minister of Health Salih İzbul – Patients’ Rights Law Hasta Hakları Yasa talebi tekrarlandı
Yeniboğaziçi Women Association Patients’ Rights Informative Meeting
Akdoğan Yenilikçi Women Association Patients’ Rights Informative Meeting
Paticipation of EU Patients’ Rights Day